Monday 26 December 2011

Last Days in America

I've been busy. I really have. Today I'm all excuses.


Mid-December I embarked on my adventure up north to Eau Claire and Chippewa Falls. There I finally saw some snow (we still don't have it in southern Wisconsin). I stayed with Karen and Kyle, the most heart-warmingly friendly hosts you could hope for. Yet again, I got pulled into the Recall Walker protests (not against my will, mind you), and I even managed to get a few signatures on a petition sheet. Instead of a petition, some people decided to give me the finger from their SUVs.

Chippewa Falls

One night I went to Eau Claire to catch this local band play - Bon Iver, or whatever they are called. No big deal. Just one of the best shows I've ever seen. Electrified audience, no big speeches, all the songs I wanted to hear (except "Wisconsin"), terrible sound, and all that basic stuff.

 Done. No, wait for the encore!

After my Big Northern Adventure it was time to get back to reality, which in this case means finals. Plenty of papers to write and stay up until 5am for. Nothing special. Keep reading.

After the final push, which wasn't as easy as it might seem based on the previous paragraph, I was of to Las Vegas. The day after finals. 4am. What happens in Vegas sta... wait, scrap that. I'm going to lay it down as clear as I can.

Vegas is nothing but a big shiny facade. The only thing that is original about Vegas is the sheer amount of fakeness they can cram into one city. 1/2-scale Eiffel Tower, miniature New York, in-door Venice with gondolas and Gucci stores, pyramids and Disney(c) castles. (I'll try to include pictures later). Streets covered with cards of naked women with pricetags. The homeless. The crazy ("Laugh or say something and I'll smack your face!"). The hotel I stayed in, even though it was on the Strip seemed like Stockholm-Helsinki cruise ship with more slot machines. I seriously have no idea what the parents who took their kids there were thinking. Probably not too much. 

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy myself, it was a good time. Something I had to see for myself. For maximum contrast, I headed to Stone Bank, WI (don't even ask) for Christmas. Nothing's fake here. Staying at a wood-heated lake house with the water cut off. Chopping wood outside in my muddy Vans. Seeing people open their presents. Smiling. Laughing. The awkwardness of a family trying to get the little girl play the flute. Eating an American Christmas dinner (read: massive). Eating some more. Going to the chapel on Holy Hill. Playing tag in the playground.

Tomorrow morning I'm taking the train from Milwaukee to Chicago. Stay there for the night and head home on Wednesday. Home, it's been such a long time.

I guess I'm out of excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment