Thursday 10 November 2011

Loss of Perspective

August 22nd I was excited to stand on United States soil. Everything was new, exotic and pretty much blowing my mind. When I say everything, I mean everything. The scenery, buildings, food, grocery stores, "walk" -lights at pedestrian crossings (they are white!), measures (inches, ounces, miles, pounds, Fahrenheit), and even choice of beverages in McDonald's ("what is this thing called Rootbeer? Refills?). The first few days I was busy taking pictures of crappy-looking motels and carwashes with pink elephant logos. I was paying attention to every little detail that was different from Finland, and as you can see, there were a lot of things.

Just like the movies, right? Exciting, right?

Lately, I've noticed that my interest in the little things has diminished. Oh, they eat blue ice cream here. Yea, the coins are like this. These small and unconfortable desks are all they have here, who cares. It's normal that people go to classes in their pyjamas. I've become too accustomed to the state of things here that I've muted my foreign perspective.

Yesterday, the first snow gave me a glimpse of what I used to see here. Yes, I'd seen tons of the same cold and white snow in Finland, but having it here was a whole new experience. The exciment reminded me of the way I felt during the first weeks in the States. It reminded me of how I should feel right now. RIGHT NOW. In exactly seven weeks I will be back home. When I go back I'm sure to again realize the peculiar things about the US.

But I don't want to do it then. I want to do it now. I'm gonna be a tourist again!

Me, as a tourist. A reminder for myself. (Photo by Mariko. Sorry for stealing this, but I know you understand my identity crisis).

No comments:

Post a Comment