Monday 28 November 2011

Thanksgiving and the Middle Class American Dream

My Thanksgiving was great, thank you for asking. I did everything that was required for a 100% Real American Thanksgiving. I went to a real American family in a small American town. I ate loads of turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing and cranberry jelly. I watched the traditional Thanksgiving Greenbay Packers game with a size XXL Packers Super Bowl shirt on me. I cheered and grunted at more or less appropriate times. After the game I fell asleep on the chair. Still wearing the shirt. Later in the evening it was time for more socializing and eating. All in all, I tried my best to eat as much as I could and simply relax.

However, this family-centered relaxation is not all there is to Thanksgiving. Black Friday should not be forgotten. According to The Guardian "the term Black Friday was coined to illustrate the point at which shops and stores start to make a profit, or go "into the black"." Nowadays Black Friday kicks off the Christmas shopping season as people are lured to stores by bargain deals that often start in the middle of the night. So much for the peace and quiet. As millions of people rush to stores to grab what they think they need with their hard earned cash or credit, the money they don't own, it is no surprise that things get messy. Really messy. This year a woman pepper-sprayed 20 other custormers in a Walmart. There was also plenty stabbing, shooting and police brutality to go around (Associated Press). On top of this, I heard that the stores open earlier and earlier each year. This year you could not even afford to sleep until 6 am to grab the best deals as some stores opened their doors between 10 pm and midnight thursday night.


Black Friday seems like the perfect crystallization of the American (and western) consumer culture. You know, the basic stuff - people buying stuff they don't really need with money they don't really have. Thanksgiving and the following Black Friday also show the contrast between two middle class sets of values. On the one hand is the family-centered, peaceful suburban life, and the other is the freedom to take part in the consumerist society and fulfill your material desires. Each of these sides is equally part of the middle class American dream.

I was too tired to go out shopping. I slept in. I didn't feel like fighting the hordes in the darkness to get an iPodPad or a Dyson DC24 Multi Floor Vacuum or a refreshing breeze of pepper spray in my face. Instead, I did my shopping online like every sane person.

PS. I might add photos later. I was too lazy to take any during Thanksgiving, really.

Black Friday Bonus (ugh)

No comments:

Post a Comment