Friday 9 September 2011

Par... Study All the Time

Students sailing between classes.


My classes started this week - big deal. I'll tell you about my classes when we actually start doing some work, since the first couple of weeks are dedicated to getting accustomed and drunk. Right? Wrong.

Reality slapped me in the face right at the very beginning of the semester. This is America, which means that  every course involves a lot of reading and writing. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that the pieces we read and write are very demanding. It's quantity over quality. I have to admit that this isn't really where I shine, but I hope that after the semester I'm an essay production machine spilling words on paper faster than a laserjet (or inkjet, if you're old-fashioned).

Whatever the future might be, at present the mountains of reaction papers, position papers, research papers, midterm and final papers listed on the course syllabuses force me to adjust myself to the American way of studying. Not that I ever did it, but it simply isn't enough to drag yourself to lectures and write a paper in the final week of the semester, red-eyed in the middle of the night. These courses require constant output.

Don't worry. I'm not planning to let this study thing get too much in the way of enjoying myself and going to places. That's why came here, not to sit in my dorm being all nerdy reading books, although I have to admit that the history of American Frontier is pretty intriguing stuff - now where did I put that book.

No comments:

Post a Comment