Tuesday 6 September 2011

Perception of Time

How long have I been here? It's not such a simple question. On the one hand, it feels like everything is still new and exciting, with the exception of the nearly everyday pizza at the dining hall - ugh. On the other hand, I feel like I have already experienced an impossible amount of stuff for one week. The classes haven't even started yet but it has been hectic nevertheless. I've been touring the campus (with and without a map), the dorms, the town, the bars, the malls. I've even been to Chicago, a city so big that everyone in Finland could move in there. In contrast to all these new things, there are also things I'm already getting used to. To list a few: I'm slowly getting used to living in a dorm with shared rooms, showers and bathrooms. I'm getting tired of the monotonous food that is served at the dining halls (again, pizza is the keyword here). So, all in all, the combination of the new and the already-sort-of-familiar easily messes up your perception of time. (Perception of time - did I actually say that?)

In the middle of all this losing-your-perception-of-time business I've barely had the time to rest and think about what's going on. From tomorrow onwards, I'll have classes to attend and assignments to do on top of all this madness. While it may sound overwhelming, I've enjoyed my first week a lot. I've made plenty of new friends (just look at my Facebook!), seen places and, you know, the basic stuff. The stuff you'd expect exchange students to experience.I feel extremely positive to be here. Lets see how I feel after the first classes though.

And by the way, now I also know what the campus looks like:
 University Center


A couple of residence halls


Don't even ask






No comments:

Post a Comment